Monday, September 19, 2011

First Class Delivery

It has been a super busy week, weekend, and now start of a brand new week. Wow, it was just busy busy busy! So many things to do ever since the 32 girls arrived last week, which all the girls are doing well, by the way. They are all very happy to be here and to some, it sure feels like they've fallen asleep and woken up in heaven. Many of the little girls tell me that they are so happy and that they worry that it is all a dream. I have to reassure the little ones that they are not dreaming and that it is true what they are experiencing. Just seeing their smiley faces day after day makes it all worth it for me! Really, nothing could be better than those smiles and the pure contentment of just being a child. Free of worries and just running barefooted in the grass on a sunny day! I hope they can guard that moment in their minds forever. To know that, no matter what, there is still a safe place in their heart! No matter how hard life gets, there were still some happy moments that we can look back on!

So I have been preparing each of the child's files here at Lamardelle and we don't really have much information on the children. All of them are under investigation at the moment for their biological families. Three adoptive families were here last week at Kenscoff with their children. They brought down many toys, clothing, and snacks for all the children here. We are super grateful for their continuous support and the children were really happy to get new toys and goodies in their stomachs. There were new photos and birthday presents to pass out and all the children were ecstatic about the photos. They all compared with each other, to see who's photos were the best...it's quite funny, because the photos are all the same, but somehow, they arrive at finding the differences? Who knew? Three girls at the Lamardelle creche had birthdays all within two weeks of each other, so the creche cook, Antoinese, baked a chocolate cake for the girls to celebrate. They all dressed up and the adolescents even put on make-up. It was the first time I've seen them with make-up on and boy, there's a huge difference. They all have really nice clothing in their closets, but they save those on special occasions. Such as meeting their adoptive parents, church, birthdays, and going outside the compound. They were all beautiful girls and we took lots and lots of pictures. *(I can't show any of the pictures here, because their identities need to be protected throughout the adoption process).

I have been continuously doing English and French lessons for the adolescents after work. They are making good progress, which I am thrilled to see. Their self-motivation levels have gone up a little bit since last month and I am very happy to know that it is making a little bit of a difference. I still run everyday after work and many of the staff members and children join me in running some laps. It is great to know that I can have  some positive influences on the people here at the orphanage. Many of the teenagers did not see the point of exercising and were too lazy to move around. The first week, no one joined in, they all sat next to me to watch me run. The second week, one or two girls started to join me on some exercises. Now, we are onto the third week, and I have regulars that run 5 to 15 laps with me everyday. I cannot be prouder of them! I hope they will continue!





I really believe that if we want to influence others, we have to start with ourselves first. Do the right things and eventually others will follow in your footsteps.

1 comment:

  1. "nothing could be better than those smiles and the pure contentment of just being a child....no matter what, there is still a safe place in their heart! No matter how hard life gets, there were still some happy moments that we can look back on!"

    I was sooooooooo moved by the sentances. I pictured those kids and I wish I could be there with them someday.....I will bring a lot of toys, candies, snacks.........

    mom+

    ReplyDelete