Thursday, January 12, 2012

Moment of Silence: 1.12.2010

Today marks the two year anniversary of the January 12, 2010 Haiti earthquake. I can still remember, where I was and how I was feeling on that day two years ago. I was in my apartment in Chicago writing a paper for Child Development class. Taking a break from school work I started to browse the internet. Coming across the CNN page, horror appeared in front of my eyes. The sight of what was happening in Haiti seemed like it was not happening in another country, but right where I was sitting. My heart was aching at seeing all of the bodies piling up on the streets, the blood drenched people walking in the rubbles, and the children's cries echoing deep within my soul. I looked at the images and videos that were broadcast all across every single news site! I was broken! Completely broken. I hit my breaking point when I saw a photo with a child's shoe washed ashore. The children of Haiti were suffering and I was so far away. That was when I decided that I would do everything in my power to go to Haiti and help. I felt like I could do more in Haiti than if I was in Chicago. I had no money to give, but I had my skills and time to give. I immediately within two weeks, signed myself up to five active international disaster relief teams. The final decisions came out to be with the Tzu Chi Foundation. I grabbed my bags and flew to Haiti and the rest is history!

I am so happy and grateful that I have had the chance to be able to active help in Haiti for the past two years since the earthquake. I feel very lucky that I can actually make a difference in many people's lives everyday, especially children's lives. The past two years have been a struggle for the Haitian people and for many, it still continues today. I will keep on helping anyone and everyone that I can each and everyday, to the best of my abilities!

To the people of Haiti: Thank you for sharing the laughter and tears with me. Thank you for showing me what real strength and resiliency is. Thank you for letting me be a part of your lives! We are all one big family. Together we can conquer! You have shown me what life is really all about. It is love and determination that makes us able to feel. It is with each breath that we take, our eyes are opened to the surroundings. It is you and I, together, that make the world worth living for.

Please keep on praying for the Haitian people! Pray to give them wisdom in combating difficult situations. Pray to give them strength in standing up by themselves again! Pray to let their great love blossom in helping one another in this wonderful country!

Today is for you the people of Haiti! 
Keep on holding on! I will never give up on you! 


1 comment:

  1. there are still more than 500,000 people live in the tent city after two years.......
    Haitian have been in my daily prayer.

    mom with love+

    ReplyDelete